Wednesday, February 26, 2014

#26) Keep on Keeping on

Progress Report

I have begun to follow a training program I found on  the Bike MS web site. It is designed to help bicyclists prepare for 50 mile events so I'm using it to help me get ready for the Bike MS Tour de Farm on June 21st. Hopefully my arms will be able to keep up with this program that was designed for your standard bicyclist. If I can keep up I will have to register for the 50 mile ride instead of the 35 mile ride I initially signed up for.


The first two  weeks of the plan calls for 4 rides (Tues, Thurs, Sat, & Sun) The Tuesday & Thursday rides are  45 minute rides, a long distance  ride on Saturday and 45 minutes recovery ride on Sunday. Monday, Wednesday and Friday are "recovery days" and you are instructed to  1) stay off of legs all you can, 2) watch nutrition closely (healthy carbs, lean protein, and good fats), 3) stretch, and 4) drink when thirsty. Other common recovery aids include massage, napping, elevating legs, floating in water, and listening to music." I like the massage, napping, elevating legs floating in water and listening to music ideas but I think I need to spend that time working out to build upper body strength.

Here are my sessions to date: 
02.18.14: 45 minutes 8.61 miles  (11mph average) and burned 587 calories. 
02:20:14 60 minutes (15 extra) 12.32 miles and burning 722 calories.
02:22:14 140 minutes 20.10 miles (12.30mph average)  ???calories Polar monitor sez 1267 calories but that can't be correct.
02:23:14 45 minutes  recovery ride 8.0 miles (10.7mph average) forgot monitor 
02:25:14 45 minutes 9.35mile (12.5mph average) 505 calories.

Despite missing a couple days lifting  I am encouraged by the improvement in the average speed of my 45 minute rides and the fact that I was able to maintain that pace during my long ride. I have another 45 minute Thursday and a 25 mile ride on the calendar for Saturday so we'll see how that goes.......

Music
I have yet to make an appropriate uber up-tempo playlist for my MP3 player. During my last "long ride" it seemed like my Sony Walkman randomly picked every slow song in the library. 

"Redheaded Stranger" Willie Nelson
Don't get me wrong, I love this song but not when trying to keep a 90rpm pace.
or
Again, a great song but ....

No comments:

Post a Comment