Friday, July 19, 2013

#15) My Bad/ Mea Culpa


IPP Aurora Branch
I have no excuse for not keeping this blog up to date...Please accept my apologies.

Over the last month I have tried to go out 3 to 4 rides a week, riding in the Arboretum on weekdays and on the IPP on weekends. This schedule is a function of parking issues. As a member of the Arboretum, access to the arboretum and parking is free, whereas  weekday parking near the IPP is complicated because of commuter usage. That's ok because both the Arboretum and the IPP offer  excellent places to ride.

With every ride I fell more comfortable on the hand-cycle and more confident with my cycling abilities.  I know it shouldn't do this but I try to make each ride either further or faster than my prior outing. Eliza, my conditioning coach, frown of this approach and has suggested that I vary my training program, incorporating sprints, interval training drills and hills to my rides. That seems like work but I know she is right.

Morton Arboretum East Approx. 4.5 mile





At the Arboretum I usually ride around both the east-side and the west-side in what I call the  "Grand Arboretum Loop." This hilly loop is 7.5 miles long. My first Grand Loop was completed in about 45 minutes. With increased upper-body strength and improved cycling techniques I have my time down to around 40 minutes. My offical . personal record stands at 42:15(I would file a protest to the time-keeper because  my ride was slowed by a clean-up crew with a wood chipper and a slow moving Volvo station-wagon slowed me down.)

Morton West Side Approx 3.0 miles



I do need to do a drive-through with a camera  to give you readers a better idea of how picturesque the Arboretum is. A series of woodchip hiking trails meander through a wide  variety of both native and exotic plants.
Currently the prairie grasses, wildflowers, clovers and even milkweeds are adding to the beauty.











Illinois Prairie Path with Great Western Trail

I have been increasing my distances on the IPP.
My furtherest ride clocks in at just over 15 miles and it took me about 95 minutes.
Psychologically, I like riding on the IPP because hypothetically I could actually ride to another destination for lunch let's say. (And then back home of course.) Sure, I could ride to Wheaton and back right now, but my  next goal is a 30 mile round trip due west to Geneva and back.






     
                                                                                                                                  
As you can see there are a number of round-trip routes to choose from,  ranging from 23 miles to a couple that are over 100 miles... I'm not there yet...

MUSIC










1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the very nice update and I liked the blusey-jam by The Bright Light SOcial Hour you had posted from YouTube. Thirty mile round trip?? Good luck with your training. Maybe when your endurance is at that length it will start being cooler

    ReplyDelete