Thursday, May 30, 2013

#14) Back Home/ Go West Young Man/ Redemption



I've been home from my Florida vacation for a little more than a week and because of the weather and logistical issues I have  managed to go for only three rides.





 I went to the Arboretum for my first ride and what a rude awakening that was. The hills of the Arboretum were a challenge after my flat rides along the Gulf shore. I had forgotten where the optimal spots to shift gears were so ascending some of the hills was more difficult than need be. The combination of those two factors resulted in a slower average speed than what I had been doing in Florida, so I was a tad disappointed with myself




For my next ride I decided to head west along the Prairie Path toward Wheaton. Being that it was Sunday and Wheaton has more churches per capita than any other town in America I felt that the Prairie Path through Wheaton would not be very busy. When we first moved to this area, about ten years ago, I used to bicycle out this direction before my MS symptoms made it too difficult for me to ride a bike. I had forgotten how quickly the setting changed from suburban to rural. The magnet on my odometer had shifted out of place so I was getting some very wacky distance and speed readings so I decided not to push it too much.




This morning was my ride of redemption at the Arboretum.  I got to the park at 9 o'clock in the morning to beat the heat/humidity and thunderstorms. The pavement was still damp from overnight rains, so the spray thrown off by tires helped keep me cool.





Despite pausing to take a couple of photos, I managed to better my time for my Arboretum circuit.
I did the entire main loop and then rode  to the 1st exit point on that route before returning to the parking lot.


On my next ride I might attempt to do two complete laps of the main loop at the Arboretum .
I make that attempt Friday morning if the weather cooperates.

This weekend I may try a longer ride on the IPP.
I purchased a spare inner-tube, a small air pump and an emergency tool kit so I won't get stranded with a flat tire. That happened to me once a long time ago when I was young and foolish. I don't want it to happen again




Music


1 comment:

  1. good play list! can you have someone take your pic please??!!! And, also. does somebody make a spray cooler you can attach to your bike and use it to spray you off to keep cool?

    ReplyDelete