Thursday, November 7, 2013

#17) Seasons come and seasons go





Damn, it wasn’t that long ago that I was worrying about staying cool and keeping my system properly hydrated on my rides…Through trail and error I finally came up with a cooling system that provided me enough relief from the heat but that didn’t make look like a suicide bomber with an explosive vest. I found that placing a frozen gel pack on the seatback worked the best. It is uncomfortable at first until the rockhard pack begins to thaw.

I knew enough to avoid the hottest part of the day and forgo riding if the heat index was too high. I placed a water-soaked bandana under my helmet and wore a cooling band around my neck. On top of that I kept a wet rag in my tool bag to wash off my face if I became overheated. Using a commonsense approach of paying close attention to weather conditions and utilizing cooling tools I wasn’t as effected by the summer weather as I feared.

But now it is a whole new ballgame as I try to find the proper mix of clothing to keep warm but not overheat .
For me, the ideal temperature band ranges from 55f to 75f. My big decision when temps fall within that range is whether to wear a short-sleeved or long-sleeved t-shirt.
When temperatures drop below the mid-50’s I wear a long-sleeved jersey as a base and then a short sleeved t-shirt on my torso. I also have a pair arm sleeves to keep my arms warm, which I can peel off once I get warmed-up. My only issue with the drop in
temperatures is that hands are extremely sensitive to cold, turning white and numb when temps are below 50. (Raynaud’s Syndrome caused by MS?) and I haven’t found the optimal glove combination that prevents calluses while keeping my hands warm. I am certain I will find a solution to this problem so I can continue to get out as long as the trails are clear of ice and snow.

The only other thing that has changed is the subject matter of my pictures...From this....
Sconset Fisherman's Shack


Two ladies on a log Nantucket, MA
On the trail near Provincetown, MA
 To this....
Milkweeds Herrick Lake Forest Preserve

Two Ducks Herrick Lake Forest Preserve

Two ducks Reverse Image Herrick Lake Forest Preserve

1 comment:

  1. Didn't know you had Raynaud's Syndrome: Bobo has it in her fingers and my feet have been like that since I was 14! It is weird how the lupus/MS/Auto immune traits all find a way to express themselves. Know you love the cooler temps, but the hands could be a problem. Have you thought of trying those gel packs for gloves? I will try and research some for you. Keep up the good handcycling!!

    ReplyDelete