Saturday, April 13, 2013

#7) My Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week

OK, so I’m being terribly overly dramatic about it, but damn…the weather has not been cooperating in the least. It has been rainy, windy and cool for the last week, so no outdoor activities, except for last Sunday. On Sunday it was sunny and the temperature reached the mid 60sF. I went to church in the morning and then I did spring cleaning yard work in the afternoon. I worked until 4pm, but by then I was too tired to go for a ride.

I took my weekly Avonex injection Sunday night so Monday was my day of rest. You would think that after taking these shots for 15 years that my body would handle them better, but every so often I get flu-like aches the following day. On second thought, that reaction probably means that the medicine is still being effective, so I guess I will just deal with it.

Tuesday and Wednesday were rainy and cool but I did make it to the gym both days. I won’t bore you with the details of my routine. The weather was starting to wear on me but I realize that the warmer weather will be here soon. Thursday and Friday were the days that put me over the edge. Thursday was an indoor handcycle day. I decided to push myself since I had recovered from Monday’s achiness. I was on pace to set a personal best distance for my 45 minute ride when my water bottle slipped from its resting place and began rolling across the floor, leaving a trail of water. I couldn’t just leave the leaky bottle lie there so I hit the “pause” button and collected the bottle from the floor. Even though I began cranking again, the display continued to read “pause” so I had to decide which button to push to re-engage the counter. This was the 1st time I had used the “pause” function and I had no idea which button to push, either the “pause’ button again or the “start” button. I chose “start”. The display reset itself  back to 45 minutes and my calories burned back to zero… I was so disheartened that I had lost my data…

Then Friday afternoon really got to me. I was about to get dressed for the gym when I decided to check my hand-me-down Macbook for Saturday’s weather. I had used the laptop a couple of times earlier in the day and every thing was fine. I pushed the on button and there was nothing…”Hmm that’s odd,” I thought. I assumed it was the battery so I plugged the charger up and still nothing… There had been issues with the cooling fan so I was assuming that it had finally burned itself out and the “mother-board” was probably fried. As I was unhooking the cords I noticed some teeth marks in the insulation. Our cat has some kind of vendetta against cords; I don’t know how many pairs of earphones have been ruined by this damn cat, but this was the most brazen attack yet. Instead of going to workout I had to find a store that carried Apple products. The stores closest to me, RadioShack, Staples and Target didn’t have any so I hade to drive to the next town over to BestBuy. No big deal, but on the drive over I began thinking about how the past week had turned out to be such  a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week.

Not to worry, the week wasn’t a total wash-out. I installed both a mirror and a speedometer on my handcycle. The above average rains that we have received so far this year have ended the drought conditions from last year. During my visit to the gym on Saturday I rode 9.30 miles and burned 372 calories in my 45 minute session. (A personal best)

Music
(Soul Saturday)



1 comment:

  1. GOOD news on the drought-easing conditions, BETTER hand-cycle weather in the future, and BEST soundtrack you've posted yet!

    P.S. I keep reading about all the new oral meds and wonder how long you will have to keep giving yourself the shots. Keep praying science will bring you relief and healing

    ReplyDelete