Tuesday, April 23, 2013

#9) Make A Note to Oneself


ToDo: Reset you trip odometer back to zero before your next ride…

As you have probably figure out by now, I DIDN’T… 
You’ll have to trust me on this, but I can report to you that this afternoon I rode further, faster and longer than on my prior outting. A little after 3pm I headed eastbound on the trail (Same direction as before). The traffic wasn’t as light as I had expected though. The fewer numbers of youngsters was offset by an uptick in high schoolers. (Tracksters plus some wrestlers??). 

The crushed rock trail was in remarkably good condition considering all of the recent rains we’ve had. There weren’t any muddy areas but I did notice some eroded spots that I needed to avoid.
I have become more proficient in my shifting, realizing that it is better to downshift too early than too late. The gradient of the hills is fairly mild, although there is one that is rather longish and my muscles were burning by the time I reached the crest. As I said, I forgot to reset the mileage counter, but I passed 4 or 5 additional cross streets before heading for home.


All in all, I was pleased with the ride. The temperature was 65f and the sun was shining.



While loading the cycle into the car I heard on the radio that Richie Havens had passed away… I loved listening to him on the live Woodstock album and I was lucky enough to see him perform live on the campus of the University of Kansas in the early 1970’s. My sisters invited me, their little high school aged brother, to come up to see Richie Havens and Taj Mahal perform. The memory that sticks with me after all these years is the look of disapproval my sister gave me when I couldn’t stop starring at a certain coed. Here I was, 16 years old, completely “twitterpated” with this girl…I mean, I was mesmerized  I couldn’t stop looking at her.  I can’t describe the “look” my sister shot me exactly, but if you have an older sibling, I’m sure you know what I’m talking about…

Music


No comments:

Post a Comment