Thursday, April 4, 2013

Entry #6) It Finally Happened


Temperatures have turned mild…no bitter wind…no snow…no rain.
So yesterday I took my cycle for a spin around my parking lot route. It is difficult for me to describe the emotions I felt as the air rushed past ears. I guess Freedom is the best way to describe what I was feeling. Now I will be able feel the wind on my face while seeing the world from my low-to-the-ground vantage point (or al least my little slice of DuPage County.)



I rode for a little more than 30 minutes, practicing starting, stopping, gear shifting and turning. The cycle is equipped with a Rapid-fire shifting mechanism, which I have never used before. I had to get familiar with which shift lever is for shifting to a higher gear, and which shift lever to downshift with. (Press larger lever with thumb to move to a higher gear: use your index finger to pull the smaller lever to down shift)

From an overhead view it looks like there are some long straight stretches of road, but unfortunately, there speed-bumps every 50 yards or so, which tends to break your momentum. The cycle handles pretty well once you get the hang of it but I did almost pull a Joey Chitwood (Click here for an example of a Joey Chitwood ) when I swerved to avoid one of the speed bumps. (Yes I had my helmet on.)The church parking lot (lower left-hand of map ) is the better bet, shorter stretches but no bumps.

There are a couple accessories I need to add before I venture beyond the parking lot:  

A mirror
A Hydration System



A Speedometer



Once I get these installed I think I will jump on to the Prairie Path for some back-to-nature views.


Music:






No comments:

Post a Comment