Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Entry #8) Hello Nudduh, Hello Faddah

I apologize for my last entry. The lack of sunlight or something must be getting to me because I’m usually not that whiney.  I’m sure Entry #7) sounded like the first 7/8’s of Alan Sherman’s 1963 smash hit Hello Mudduh, Hello Faddah 

Anyway, I'm sorry...



Weather-wise, this past Sunday began like the previous six mornings: skies were overcast and the ground dampened by overnight rains. Temperatures were expected to warm-up to near 60, but scattered showers were also in the mix so I was prepared for more of the same. Around noon I drove downtown to pick up some bagels (3 Everything, 3 Cinnamon-Raisin) and all the fixings (salmon, plain cream cheese, cream cheese with chives.) As I was leaving the house I sensed that the sun was trying to burn its way through the cloud cover. By the time I exited the car in front of Einstein’s Bagels the sun had indeed made its appearance. The warmth I felt started me to thinking that maybe this would be a good day for an outdoor ride. While waiting in line for my bagels I realized the some of the other patrons were using Einstein’s as a rest-stop as they made their way along the Illinois Prairie Path. The shining sun was having the same affect on us  as it did to the campers in the closing refrain of the song.

Upon returning home I donned a pair of shorts and a sweat-shirt, loaded my cycle into my Rav 4 and drove to the train-station parking lot. And soon enough I was On the Road Again (Not By Willie Nelson)


On Sunday, IPP users were split 60/40 between foot traffic and cyclists. And practically everyone was using proper trail etiquette, staying on the right hand side of the trail and calling out “on yer left” as they passed. Leashed dogs and speeding youngsters on bikes were my only concerns.


I am still getting familiar with starting and stopping so I headed east because there are fewer roadway crossing to deal with. As expected, actual handcycling is much more difficult than the stationary riding that I have been doing over the last few months. I realize that I need to put a greater emphasis on my strenght training and that a better sense of gear selection will be helpful.

My maiden voyage of 5.9 miles lasted 35 minutes, averaging almost 10mph and my maximum speed was 22.5 mph.
IPP Trail Image

 I made the mistake of pulling off to the side of the trail to take this picture while I was going up hill. You can't downshift while you are forcibly peddling .  UGH


No comments:

Post a Comment