Thursday, May 23, 2013

Entry #13) Handcycling the Timpoochee Trail


Timpoochee Trail Map (Red Dotted Line)

I am sorry for not updating you on my handcycling adventures last week. Somehow vacationing got in the way of my blogging.

The Beach
Eastern Lake (as seen from the trail)
We decided to take our summer vacation as soon as our two youngest children finished up their finals. Both of them will be working and taking classes this summer which would make coordinating a vacation around multiple work schedules impossible.

Once again we headed down to the  "Emerald Coast" of the Florida panhandle. It's not Nantucket or the Down East coastline of Maine but the beaches are sandy and the sun is warm.








This year we stayed in the Seagrove Beach area.
Looking at the map above, the house was south of the trail and just to the west of Eastern Lake.
In the past we have rented in Grayton Beach  & Blue Mountain Beach



The town of Seaside is probably the most desirable (as in, expensive) area on the panhandle. There is a very family friendly village green that hosts concerts and outdoor movies. Various shops and eateries surround this area.

The movie "THe Truman Show" starring Jim Carey and Ed Harris was filmed in Seaside. 






As for my riding,  because of the popularity of Seaside, traffic to the west of us was a little heavier so I road to the east along the trail. 
Riding the hills of the Arboretum made the sea-level course seem fairly easy. 

I managed to pry myself off the beach to go on 4 or 5 rides. On each ride I went at little further and/or faster.

On my final ride I rode for 12 miles in a little over an hour.

Now back to the Arboretum once the rain stops.







Crazy Contrails




































No comments:

Post a Comment