Thursday, May 2, 2013

#10 Mayday in the Park w/ Additional Note to Self


Prior to May 1st there wasn’t much new to report on… The weather has been spotty with rainfall generally occurring in the overnight hours, but with enough rainfall to render the Prairie Path out of the question on most days.  I did manage to go out for a spin this last weekend. Each time I ride I feel a little more confident about my riding skills. The handcycle is certainly not as nimble as a two-wheeler. 
Three Point Turn
aka K-Turn

Tight turns are difficult and sometimes an old fashioned three point k-turn is required. A simple enough maneuver with power-steering and reverse gear, but with the HC (from now on HC = handcycle) it’s a more cumbersome process. When scooting backwards your legs are out of their normal position so they get in the way handcrank steering. It is slow and sloppy.

After riding on the IPP (IPP= Illinois Prairie Path) a few times I am now familiar with its twists, turns and most importantly, its hills. I know when to try to build up speed for an approaching incline and when to shift to a lower gear during the climb. There are a couple of things that bother me about the IPP though. The crossing roadways interrupts your momentum and although the crushed limestone is relatively firm it still offers up more resistance than pavement.

I increased the distance of my rides, but I have to remind myself that the further you travel on the outward leg means that the return leg is now longer.



On May 1st I tried something new and different. Instead of riding the IPP, I took to the roadways inside the Morton Arboretum (Morton as in “When it rains it pours”)



Morton Arboretum Map

There are over nine miles of roadway that wind through the +1,700 acre park.
What the map doesn't show are the hills… They aren't particularly steep just longer than the hills along the IPP. 

  As you can see from the pictures it’s a bit more scenic than the IPP as well.


Add caption

 On my first visit to the Arboretum I road 3.9 miles in 30 minutes. I paused for some photo ops and rehydration.


*Note To Self: release parking brake completely before resuming your ride. I stopped for a drink on a flat stretch of the road . I thought I had completely released the brake, but I hadn’t. The next hill was so “steep” that my arms and chest were beginning to feel a burn as I climbed further up the incline.  Then I noticed the cause of the problem. As with an automobile, the HC moves down the road better with the parking brake disengaged.



Tulips
 The Arboretum is 10 mintues away by car and the park is open from 7am until sundown so I will be able to squeeze in rides before or after the heat of the day.
Normally the road is shared with motorized vehicles and top speed limit is 20mph. (My max speed was 23mph Ssshhh Don’t tell)  From 7am til 9am Saturdays and Sundays the roadways are closed to cars during certain time slots, but the car traffic wasn’t an issue, even on a sunny May 1st.
Twig Ant Sculpture


The scenery is wonderful and the road surface is much more accomadating than the IPP. I will explore the western IPP once I can begin logging longer rides. I would have to travel 5 or 6 miles before I escape the suburbs...(I guess I could drive there and park, but for nowI think I will stick with the Arboretum.)

 One thing is for sure, I need to hit the gym more and turn my "buggy whip" arms into full blown "beach guns". Just kidding, I won't go overboard, but circular arm motion used to propel the HC forward is akin to a benchpress on the extention of your arm and a rowing machine when you pull the handbar towards you. 

April showers are bringing more May shower and with rain and thunderstorms predicted for the next 5 to 7 days it looks like I will be hitting the weights...UGH




Music




No comments:

Post a Comment